Orlando
 

Notable architecture

  • Angebilt Hotel - A beautiful example of twentieth-century commercial style by Orlando Architect Murry S. King (the first registered architect in Florida,) the hotel was completed in 1923 and held the reputation of being one of the two best hotels in the city.
  • Ebenezer Methodist Church - Begun in 1922, this gothic style brick church was home to the first African-American Methodist congregation in Orlando.
  • Nicholson-Coyler Building - In 1911, this late Victorian structure was built for J.A. Coyler and J.E. Nicholson. It is one of the few properties owned and operated by African Americans outside the traditionally African-American neighborhoods.
  • Old Orange County Courthouse - Also designed by Murry S. King, the courthouse was completed in 1927 as the finest example of Beaux Arts architecture in the city. It is now home to the Orange County Regional History Center.
  • Old Orlando Railroad Depot - The South Florida Railroad constructed the depot in 1890 in response to Florida's expanding role in commerce, in particular the citrus industry.
  • Well'sBuilt Hotel - Built by Dr. William Monroe Wells in 1926, one of Orlando's longest practicing African-American doctors, the hotel provided lodging to African Americans during segregation when rooms were not available to them. Next door, he built the South Street Casino, which is now home to the Well'sBuilt Museum of African American History.